This mine was better known as Jones's when first worked in 1837 by the Isle of Man Mining Company but was later renamed Townshend's Mine. The initial development was was carried out on three shafts which had been sunk on the back of the lode which runs in an West - East direction. The first and most easterly is Mountain shaft but the first problem with water was encountered at a depth of seven fathoms and work was suspended until 1840 when a small beam  engine for pumping and the crushing of ore was put to work. by 1841, the sinking into the granite was proving to be hard going and by now and at greater depth, the water yet again hindered progress. That same year, an order was placed for the purchase of a 50 /90 inch combined cylinder engine from James Sims of Redruth which was modeled on the engine at the Carn Brea Mine in Cornwall.   By 1846, a new shaft had been sunk to a depth of 60 fathoms and was to be the Engine shaft but a decision was made to sink a new Engine shaft further westward to give better access on the lode. Both shafts were connected by the 80 fathom level where the lode was producing good ore but by 1849 the new shaft had reached a depth of 95 fathoms where the lode was found to be profitless and and the mine was abandoned. In 1866, a series of trials were carried out at surface with a view of picking up the lode but little was found. Work recommenced in 1878 with re-design of the surface workings and mining got underway a year later with ore being raised from the old workings at 20, 40, 50, 65 and 80 fathom levels. The mine closed in 1886.

            Pictures                   BACK

                    Home page