The engine house was built in 1828 for pumping and contained a 26 ft waterwheel driving a flat rod system which ran down a steep slope to the engine shaft. The wheel was later modified to work a whim which wound from the Welsh shaft.

Further modifications some years later, seen the installation of a beam engine to wind from both Welsh and Engine shafts. The Engine worked until the construction of the machine house in 1856 when it was put to rest and kept as a standby.



Home page