The machine house was built in 1856 as a replacement to the adjacent engine house. Fitted with a fourneyron type turbine, the power was transmitted to the winding drums via a set of gear wheels of which the teeth were made of Beech. This was in case an object was sucked into the turbine causing it to jam. The teeth would simply strip out causing no damage to the machinery. A box of wooden teeth was always kept down by the turbine.
The machine man worked a lever to engage the gear and the drums which could be worked in either direction. A traveling mouse pointer along the back wall, and worked by small gears, indicated the position of the kibbles in the shafts.