The 600 ft long viaduct was built in 1854 with the wheel to support the flat rod system to the T rocker. In 1930, A flash flood washed away the section spanning the river which was rebuilt with basic concrete pillars by the territorial army in order to get the pumps operational again.

The rod system was  re-constructed again in 1988 with thirty foot  lengths pitch pine timber and the bogie wheels were cast at Ramsey shipyard after an intact set was located and dug out of the river bed by the mines group.

The system works on a pull - pull basis, aided by the weight of the pump rods, which prevents the rods buckling and jumping of the tracks.


Home page