The compressor house turbine.
Installed in 1880, the Fourneyron turbine is located in a small basement under the compressor house adjacent to the river. The larger cistern casing lies just under the water whilst the outer revolving dome and drive shaft are still in view. The associated pipe work are the pressure relief valves to prevent the casing cracking by the water hammer effect when the turbine was turned off. The discharged water from the turbine would have sprayed out into the basement when the machine was at full speed but was then channeled in a lade to feed the winding turbine in the machine house further down the glen.