A picture of the Snaefell mine around 1870. The water wheel used for pumping was fifty feet in diameter and was the fourth largest working on the Island at the time. The wheel now lies disassembled at a mine in North Wales. On the right can be seen the shear legs over the shaft for raising the kibbles and in the fore ground the men are at work constructing the washing floors.                      

                                      BACK         NEXT            Home page