PROGRESS - PAGE 7 of 64
manxmines.com | Trevithick Society

 

Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64

Above: The Mud and water is pumped from the tunnel
into the pit where it is collected in bags for removal.
 
Above: Mike Dobson examining the blockage 41 meters down
the tunnel. The old access shaft was filled in back in the 1950's
 
 Above: It was necessary to remove the blockage so that the
tail water from the wheel pit could drain into the river.
The shaft was excavated from surface using a kibble or steel bucket.

Above: With the shaft cleared to it's depth of five meters.
The water could again freely flow the remaining one hundred meters
 
Above: The shaft bottom is located on a three way junction.
The tunnel ahead is the tail of from the smaller thirty five
foot wheel that also served the floors. The main tunnel is on the left.

Above: Master Carpenters Dave Bignal and Stan Skinner at Ramsey Shipyard
working on the huge twenty two foot long spokes for the Snaefell water wheel.

NEXT PAGE

 

HOME

Copyright snaefellwheel.com 2003/4